Friday, January 16, 2004

I am the milkman of human kindness. I will leave an extra pint.

Okay enough ranting. In the words of Ice Cube - today was a good day.

Things have been a little bleak since before Christmas. Setting up my own business was a little harder than expected. Having said that, in hindsight, I'm not sure why I anticipated it would be any easier than it has been.

But a number of things came right in the last couple of days and it felt like a black cloud had lifted. For starters a big contract came in. A good contract, with an organisation that looks like it'll actually pay me on time. It's also a company that does good work so no conflict of personal ethics there.

There have been other whispers of work too. On top of that I got a cheque in the post. The best news of all is that I have been invited for an interview to do VSO work.

Now, really there's no reason for me to get excited about the VSO thing. It's a selection day where they test your "soft" skills. You know, all the touchy feely stuff rather than your qualifications, experiences and ability.

I guess what they want to know is - you're not a complete dickhead. I like to think I'm not.

So it's all going to be group discussions, a few tasks to get my head around, and a couple of interviews. All in all I usually do quite well at these types of things. I've a big gob when I want to and hopefully I can get noticed without dominating completey. Then again if I fail the "dickhead" test then my ego will be shattered.

I applied for VSO initially during the dark pre-Christmas days when it looked like my world was closing in. The business was doing terribly and just when it looked like it could get no worse the gearbox on my car decided to disintergrate and I was lumbered with an £800 bill. I was forced to borrow the money from parents. I hate that. And at 32 you hope you are beyond it.

As things improved I questioned the whole VSO thing. But with VSO having made contact I'm now completely enthused. All in all I am not sure how much help I can be. Does the third world need PR (for that is what I do)?

Initially I also worried about being sent to the middle of nowhere in somewhere very frightening without any other westeners to speak too. South East Asia was high on my list of places I would like to go.

However as the days have gone by I've resolved that whatever they offer me, and wherever they send me I'm going to accept and resolve to complete my two-year "tour of duty".

Of course this is all jumping the gun on the basis that I've yet to be selected. And even if they do choose me, the selection process can apparently take a year. But I think you always need something to work towards. If I am to go then I have debts to pay and I need to do my house up in order to rent it out while I'm away. That is going to take money so, in the meantime, I better concentrate my efforts on actually making some.

The reason to be cheerful (part three) is that I'm off out tomorrow. A big, proper, bad-head-in-the-morning night out. They have been few and far between recently. My social life has taken a real hammering recently.

What's more if I can actually manage to drink enough in the pub I'll enter the subsequent night club in a nicely relaxed state without feeling the need to sneer at ironic mullet hair cuts or the DJ's choice of tunes.

So, it's getting better all the time. Not even the fact that I'm working tomorrow (Saturday) can get me down. And with the Toon not playing till Monday not even they can wreck my mood.

And I finished this blog without resorting to ranting.

Love, light and peace.

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

colonelkurtz02@hotmail.com