Thursday, January 29, 2004

Outside the patient millions who put them into power. Expect a little more back for their taxes. Like school books, beds in hospitals and peace in our bloody time. All they get is old men grinding axes.


"Iraq probably has no weapons of mass destruction in the commonly understood sense of the term - namely a credible device capable of being delivered against a strategic city target. "
Robin Cooke's resignation speech March 18,2003.

The above quote was made BEFORE the Iraq war by Robin Cooke. Check out the posts he has held and you'll find he is a man who should know what he was talking about.

Moving back up to date, over the last two days we have had the Hutton report which basically painted the PM and his Government as whiter than whiter while demonising the BBC. The chairman of the BBC has already quit while Blair remains in power after the supposed "toughest week of his career".

In short the BBC's accusations that the dossier on WMD had been "sexed up" have now been held to be untrue.

Now without wanting to getting too much into the fine details of what was said by the Government, the BBC and the Hutton report, for me it comes down to this: was Iraq's threat overstated?

And the answer is a clear YES. It is ironic that while the Hutton Report was being released, which exonerated the PM, across the Atlantic senior US weapons inspector David Kay was telling a Washington Senate Committee once and for all that there are no WMDs to be found.

In fact Blair, appears to be the only person left in the world who, at least publicly, believes in the existence of these weapons.

So if there are no weapons, and Blair or his cronies didn't sex up the dossier, then why was it claimed that Iraq was a threat to the western world?

Now, it seems to be me that you can believe one of two possibilities. Either Blair purposefully oversold the dangers in order to support the US's war effort for political reasons or Blair was stupid enough to fall for inaccurate information.

At this point I don't care.

What's more, and I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but I am not particularly concerned about Dr David Kelly. What I do care about is the 10,000 civilians killed in Iraq by the "coalition of the willing".

That's 10,000 men, women and children killed because Blair either made a huge mistake or he chose to sacrifice them for political reasons.

I'm angry. Of course I want Blair to lose his job. Of course I want Bush to be kicked out of the Whitehouse. But that in itself is not enough. Surely, as the people behind what was an illegal war, carried out because of error and misinformation, they should both be tried for war crimes.

The Hutton report focused on the death of one man. It focused on minute detail in the wording of BBC reports. At the same time it appeared to disregard the bigger picture, the deaths of the 10,000.

The buck has to stop with the heads of both the US and the UK.

Unfortunately Blair is now being painted largely as the victim of the evil BBC. Poor old Tony. The papers have forgotten the scandal of the missing WMDs and are focusing instead on the smaller issue of Dr David Kelly.

In a truly civilised country we should expect more. Every day that no WMDs are found the clamor from the media, and the country at large, for Blair's removal should increase.

I am truly sickened by what my country has done. For the first time in my life, as a direct result of Iraq, I am ashamed to be British. I want out. I am applying to work abroad and I know that when, and if, I get there I will have to spend a significant proportion of my time apologising to people from other nations who are as disapproving about Britain's role in the Iraq war as I am.

Since Vietnam this has been the fate of the American traveler. Since Iraq it is something that the British traveler will also have to live with.

Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

colonelkurtz02@hotmail.com