Tuesday, March 30, 2004

I knew a farmer once who played. With his piggies in the glade. I said "But some things are really best left unspoken". But he preferred his livestock out in the open.

So the Glastonbury headliners have been announced. Not sure what I make of it.

Oasis, Macca and Muse. Hmmmm.

First of all, let me say, it doesn't matter that much to me who is playing. The Glastonbury experience is far more than just the music.

But to comment on the three. As far as Macca is concerned, I'm looking forward to it. I've been a Beatles fan since I was old enough to appreciate music. Okay he's a bit of an embarrasing Dad figure these days but when you used to be in The Beatles you shouldn't have to apologise for anything. He and John Lennon are the single most important songwriters ever. There is no argument. And for me the chance to sing along to All You Need is Love with thousands of other grinning idiots sounds like a chance not to be missed.

Oasis I can't quite decide on. I love the Gallaghers, although latterly mostly for their brilliance in interviews. The last couple of CDs haven't been up to much but I always thought that Be Here Now was very underrated. Standing on the shoulder of Giants, on the other hand, is one of the worst albums I have ever heard.

I think they will either be absolutely superb and blow everyone away - or be totally awful. It might be the final nail in their coffin or the start of the second coming.

As for Muse, they're not my favourite band at all. They seem lacking in sense of humour without having the intelligence to back it up. To me they sound like your mate's crap band.

Of the rest of the line-up it's hard to tell which are confirmed or not. James Brown is a must. Again the man is a legend and one of the greatest showman of our times. I will be watching.

Then there's Morrisey. If he really is to play then it's a shame that he is not headlining. Perhaps, Farmer Eavis would have liked him to, but with two oldies already confirmed he perhaps opted for Muse as a younger alternative.

I just hope he isn't on the NME stage at the same time Macca or Oasis are on. If he's on the main stage then I would hate to play after him. He's going to bring the pyramid down. He will be fantastic.

Of the rest of the names knocking about, I would love to see The Pixies. I never got to see them the first time around and I wouldn't miss them at Glastonbury for anything. It's the singalong moments that you still remember, long afterwards when you're clean and back down from your cloud. I can picture myself now screaming along with Frank Black to Debaser and Monkey's Gone to Heaven.

Of the rest of them, I'll take it or leave it. No doubt Mr Bragg himself will make an appearance in the Leftfield Tent and I shall be there.

Finally a word about the Darkness who have been throwing insults at the Glastonbury organisers.

I can't stand the band so let me throw a few back. How about crap, talentless, gimmicky, tuneless, macho, shite.

The backlash starts here.

Just got to get a ticket now.

Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.