Monday, April 12, 2004

He smirks and shrugs his shoulders as he drops another clanger. In the game of life he's just a dreadful goalhanger.

Since starting this blog early this year, it's only in the past week that I have received criticism.

The critics have come in two varieties. Firstly from friends who have been unhappy as to how I have described them.

Secondly via Joella's blog, and a subsequent email conversation. Apparently my writing is a bit long-winded.

Before this, I have taken some criticism for political beliefs and ideas and I'm always happy to argue the toss with the likes of BritishSpin and his support for the Iraq war.

I'm not someone who takes criticism well. But, if you'll forgive me I'll ignore the first set of critics and concentrate on the latter. Specifically, I'll try to defend my style of writing.

For me weblogging is to writing what punk was to music. It's stripping away the pretension and the corporate forelock tugging and replacing it with something that is personal, low-tech and, on occasions, angry. It's a snapshot of the very second it is written.

For these reasons I would never deem to criticise the style of a fellow blogger. Each blogger brings to the table something that is made up of their own ability, lifestyle and ideas.

I do tend to write to a reasonable length. I hate the "text message" culture that pervades everything from day time television to Question Time. If you want amusing snippets then there are plenty of other blogs out there that will provide them. Work Hate would be my top tip.

Apparently if you write to a shorter length then there is a greater chance that someone will read it. Fair enough. I can't really argue with that. I am sure it is true. I could write 20 words a post and then I am sure everyone who read every word. But who cares? Isn't it more of a challenge to get readers sticking with you right until the last word of a longer entry?

In addition, I have often thought that the difference between a left wing and right wing argument is simply the length of the answer.

As an example - if the question is: "What do we do with a persistent young offender?". The right wing answer is: "Lock them up,". The left wing answer is: "Check into his background, is there a problem with his education? Is the environment that he lives in a problem? If we do lock him up - will that solve anything? What are they other alternatives?". Etc etc etc.

That's why tabloid newspapers always seem to graduate towards the right wing. Their headline-driven copy is not conducive to debate at any level. Instead they offer only easy-to-explain, quick-fix solutions.

I think blogging is a broad church. There is room in cyber space for all of us. If you don't like any blog then, like a television program you find offensive, the best thing to do is just to switch over or switch off.

That said, I guess my ultimate aim with every post is to get each passer-by to read it, from top to bottom. And while I am aware it is unlikely to happen, hopefully the majority of visitors will stick with a post and give me a chance to put all my ideas and arguments to them.

I also have certain values that I try to aspire too. I try to avoid just posting link after link just for the sake of it, unless I have something to say about it. I try to avoid those pointless diary entries if they are going nowhere. I honestly don't think anybody cares what new clothes I have bought or what I am going to have for my dinner.

I try to cut out all spelling mistakes but I am sure they do slip through from time to time.

I am also aware that there are some topics that will provoke a response and there are others that will go largely ignored. It's very easy, I think, to write too much with the reader in mind. However, there is a danger that if you do this your blog quickly becomes sterile and formulaic.

With all this in mind, I will continue to write in the same that way that I have since starting this blog. As always I welcome your comments. Or at least I do, if you got this far.

And if none of this makes sense then blame it on flu. Because, yes, I do still feel like shit.


Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.