Monday, April 19, 2004

Money speaks for money, the Devil for his own. Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone.

I don't buy Nike clothes.

Which isn't of course that difficult. I mean, I don't do much in the way of exercise, and I'm not a chava, so I'm outside their target market. In addition they make Man U and Sunderland's kit.

I do, however, have a black Nike t-shirt somewhere in the back of my wardrobe, but after reading about sweatshops in No Logo I can't even bring myself to wear it. Despite the fact it has already been paid for.

Now, don't get me wrong, it appears that virtually all our clothes are now made by ill-treated minors on the other side of the world, but Nike seems the least apologetic. They also seem the least willing to address the issue.

Officially I also have a McDonalds boycott in place. Unofficially, occasionally there is nowhere else open on a Sunday afternoon and my hangover needs something to help it soak up last night's lager. The very second the last fry is consumed the guilt kicks in.

Starbucks is also on the list. I never go there, sometimes I'll order a Fair Trade cappuccino at Costa Coffee or I'll go somewhere locally owned (is it best to support Nicaraguans or locals?).

I've given up buying football shirts. This started as a mini-protest against Newcastle United buying racist scumbag Lee Bowyer. Unfortunately my one man protest, and the loss of £44.99, failed to sway the club chairman. No matter, I now have a classic TOFFS shirt.

Other than this, I occasionally buy clothes at Gap, but I feel bad about that too.

Anyway, I mention this simply because now Coca Cola has also popped up on my boycott radar.

Damnit. I love Coke. I live on the stuff.

It does seem to cure all with me. It sorts out hangovers, gives me a sugar kick when I'm knackered, I can add the diet version to vodka when I'm trying to lose weight, and still get pissed with the lads.

So how crap am I? Coca Cola is throwing it's weight around on the other side of the world and I'm so hooked I can't conceive of not drinking it. If only I had been born Scottish I would have been weaned on Irn Bru and I wouldn't have this problem.

Pepsi is rank, Virgin Cola is worse and don't even think of trying to tempt me with one of those horrible cheap Rola Cola type brands.

Any suggestions for a new soft drink?


Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.