Tuesday, April 06, 2004

With our brothers and our sisters from many far off lands. There is power in a Union.

As much as it's nice to say that weblogging is about sharing information, individual empowerment and the enjoyment of writing, deep down we are all hits junkies.

I don't believe there is a blogger out there who doesn't get that thrill when they log on and find that unexpectedly their hit counter has shot through the roof.

When that happens the next step is to go to your referrals list and find out who is linking you and is thus responsible for the extra traffic. Personally most of the time, it is someone I have linked first, but if another site has made that first step then it is very flattering.

It's also a huge personal boost. We all show our arses in public with our blogging and there is always the fear that our offerings will be derided, or worse, ignored.

That's why I have made Busy Making Other Plans my link of the week. The person behind it was inspired to start their own blog as a response to THAT Guardian article.

The writer has included a link to my page and I recently used the same John Lennon quote that inspired their weblog name. I hope it is not too presumptuous to say that my enjoyment of all things blogging has gone some way to inspiring BMOP. If it has then its a very big compliment indeed.

Including the link is also a way of repaying the likes of the very talented Moi and Jazz who were both good enough to champion my own site when I was just starting out. I am sure BMOP will also pass on that assistance to another new blogger somewhere down the line.

It was these aforementioned bloggers that first brought to my attention this idea of highlighting new weblogs. It's great to be able to discover new people out there with something to say and they deserve our support.

In recent weeks I have been avidly reading A Beautiful Revolution, which for my money is most addictive blog that I have come across. It's a brilliant piece of writing. So good, in fact that I have found myself, at times, questioning its authenticity. I am sure, however, that writer Andre, is for real. I do find it annoying though when someone like Andre can write so well, apparently so effortlessly. I write for a living, albeit non-creatively, so it kills me when an "amateur" does it so much better.

Andre's blog is another example of a lifestyle blog. Like Bridget Who, it's not just the quality of their writing, it's the quality of their lives that makes them such required reading. I am in awe. I don't drink nearly enough and I certainly don't sleep with enough people to be that interesting. Instead I have to rely on what's going on in my head, and what's going on in the world, to fill my posts. I would guess that neither Bridget nor Andre would describe themselves as remarkable but they clearly are. Perhaps we all are if you get to know us well enough and a weblog can provide that opportunity.

It feels a little like THAT Guardian article has become a bit of a watershed for the Blogging Brits. Hopefully too it represents the increased importance of the "kitchen sink" blogger over the more gimicky Belle De Jours of this world.

While BDJ's apparent personal situation may make her blog initially attractive, I believe that it also misses the point. The beauty of the blog is that you soon realise that all bloggers have little quirks in their characters that make them so interesting. I must have read hundreds of bloggers and I would struggle to name two that are alike.

In short, it's the content, not the situation that makes for a good blog.

I have also noticed that I have been relying on traditional media far less since I joined the ranks of the bloggers and that has to be positive. Leave TV to its pop competitions and the papers to slavishly following the guidelines of their millionaire owners - meanwhile there is a genuine independent media revolution taking place on the web.

In the meantime, fresh blood like BMOP are, day by day, joining our ranks.

Blogging has become a real obsession with me in recent months. It's a shrink's couch, a daily diary and a crutch.

Perhaps when we reach a critical mass we can kick start the real revolution and everyone else can join in.

I suggest Rupert Murdoch as first against the wall. Anyone else got any nominations?


Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.