Monday, April 19, 2004

You can be active with the activists, or sleeping with the sleepers, while you're waiting for the Great Leap Forwards.

Now how do you start a post on the EU Constitution while ensuring readers make it to the second line?

I doubt that was the answer.

Anyway, apparently we are to have a vote on the EU Constitution. I had a bit of a problem with this one. I tend to get my news through a level of osmosis. I don't watch, read, or listen to anything in particular, but somewhere over the day, hopefully, I can soak up the most important points.

But this EU stuff is tricky. It's not a definite answer on whether we are in or out. It has nothing to do with adopting the euro as our currency. I had to dig a little deeper on this one. Apparently, however, it does affect what parts of our lives are run by Europe and which are run by our own Government.

Which parts of our lives, specifically, I am not sure about - except that apparently tax and defence will not be included.

So what the hell is the question then? Do we each get a think log of Euro babble to wade through to see if we want to give it our backing? What if I mostly like what I see but not all of it? Am I missing the point altogether? Why can't they have Newsround on earlier in the day so I can have the difficult bits explained to me in little words?

I guess, what it will come down to is this: If you are anti-Europe (in general) you will vote against and if you are pro-Europe (in general) then you will vote for.

Except I don't know what I believe.

Ordinarily I have an opinion on everything and I still don't know.

My reasons for being pro-Europe:

* The Sun is against.
*The Tory Party are largely against.
* The North East still relies heavily on manufacturing and apparently the likes of Nissan would welcome the Euro.
* Because it's Europe and its not America.
* Most people who I meet who are anti-Europe are Daily Mail reading xeonophobic, racist types.
* A united Europe may just help offset the USA.
* Europeans seem to have a far healthier attitude to labour laws, and longer holidays, shorter hours and better conditions. What is good enough for them is good enough for us.

My reasons for being anti-Europe:

* Does the world need a new superstate?
* Does it actually speed up change, or slow it down?
* I quite like the idea of just being a little island which isn't run, bothered, influenced, or cohersed into doing anything by anybody.
* Does less financial control for us mean more power for big business?
* Voting against Blair is always appealing.

Like I said, I don't know. I don't even know if my arguments above make any sense.

Here's another one, if the pro-consortium vote wins then Blair might resign, but is getting rid of him a good enough reason for vote with him?

I suspect my confusion is pretty much mirrored by most of society. So will people base their vote on real knowledge or will they base it on the garbled reasons such as I have highlighted above? Even worse, how many will base their vote on the kind of bile, bollocks and lies as churned out by ever-xenophobic Sun and Mail.

If there is to be a vote then there is a huge job between now and then to educate the masses. And how exactly is that to be achieved? No doubt there will be a certain amount of literature falling on our door mats. There will be debates and news coverage on our TV channels. And there will also be plenty of column inches from less-than-impartial newspapers.

So who do we trust? Who should we listen to? Who will shout the loudest and sway the most voters in this referendum?

The other question is: should we even have a referendum when people (myself included) don't really know a) what they are voting for, and b) what vote to make.

So, if there is anyone still awake by the time they got to this line in the post, then feel free to add your comments below. All attempts to sway me politically will be considered.


Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.