Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Nicaraguita, I love you much more. But now that you are free, Nicaraguita. I love you much more.


The picture that makes up my new masthead is very special to me.

Yup it's BykerSink, on the edge of a rather dilapidated pier, on the Nicaraguan Island of Ometepe. It's the biggest freshwater island in the world. Oh and the lake has the only freshwater sharks in the world. And yes, I still swam there.

A larger version of the picture is also my desktop wallpaper. Despite it being a couple of years old it still makes me smile every day. A friend called it my "Look Ma, I'm on top of the world" picture. In the comments box below Bob Piper called it a "Nicaraguan Angel of the North". I like that idea - as a representation of me it depicts my wanderlust and my love of home.

There are a few other pictures of that evening and my time on Ometepe. They are all beautiful (even a crap photographer like me couldn't have failed to make them look good). They are also a snapshot of a moment in time when I think I felt at my most contented. The scenerey was out of this world and the company fantastic. In addition I was nearing the end of my travels and I was looking forward to going home while still savouring the experience.

Certainly I have never seen a sunset like it. What made it all the more magical was that when the sun had finally dipped out of view and it was suddenly dark, we turned back towards the shore and, from our vantage point on the pier, we could see it lit up by hundreds of little fire flies.

More pictures of Ometepe, including the journey there by boat, the sun going down and the larger version of the picture above, are around here somewhere.

Finally thank you very much to Neil for his tips on how to actually design and install the masthead. The boy's a genius.


Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.