Wednesday, June 02, 2004

If no one out there understands you start your own revolution and cut out the middleman.

As someone who has always been fascinated by politics, I have surprised myself by the realisation of how much I hate it right now.

I've ranted at British Spin. Then I ranted at Bob Piper who certainly doesn't deserve it.

I hate politics because it seems that while the atrocities in Iraq are on-going everything else just appears so insignificant.

British Spin's daily New Labour line towing sends me up the wall.

I want one single outcome from the upcoming elections. I want Blair to get a bloody nose. Ideally I want him to bleed so profusely that his own colleagues take advantage of his weakened state and finally find the guts to chuck him out the party.

I want the media to realise they are backing a lame duck and I want the pressure on him to intensify. For what he has done to Iraq, and for what he has done to the way I feel about my country, there are few horrific scenarios that I wouldn't wish on him.

I know that the Respect Party are opportunists. From what I can gather their manifesto doesn't add up to much and probably makes little political sense. I don't care. This is a protest vote.

Real protesting didn't do any good. Blair cacooned himself against it. He ignored that message. My local Labour MP Nick Brown doesn't even acknowledge letters sent to him.

So, having failed with all the other methods of peaceful, democratic protest I will instead go with the ultimate weapon. I will vote for someone else. I will vote for the one party where my vote will be counted and will be seen as a vote against Blair and this evil war.

I want to get back to a time when politics did matter. I want to care again about the state of public transport in the country, about education and the health service. Currently though I can't see past Iraq. I can't see past the horrific pictures taken inside Abu Ghraib prison. I can't see past the thousands of dead Iraqi civilians. And I certainly can't see past the WMD lies.

For me Blair has wiped out all the other issues. Iraq is the only issue. If your party supported the war in Iraq then I will not support you.

The anger I feel surfaces almost daily. The plethora of St George's flags that we are seeing in the run up to Euro 2004 irritates the hell out of me. I don't want to see our flag right now. I don't want to see any level of nationalism. I don't feel like this country currently has anything to be proud of.

So I will apologise to anyone whose comment book I have ranted in. Trust me if Blair or his cronies had a blog then it would be them I would be arguing with not you.

But Blair is hard to reach. The doubts of his cabinet didn't sway him. The protests of a million marchers didn't sway him either.

The collapse of the Labour vote might not personally sway him either. But at least it might put a collective rocket up the arses of his Labour colleagues. Maybe, in order to save their own skins, they will be the ones that finally get rid of him.

And with Blair out the way then Bush's position would also be less stable. In an ideal world the upcoming elections would strike a mortal blow for Blair and his fall from grace would drag Bush down with him.

Then maybe I can then vote for who I really want to vote for again. The Labour Party. The old Labour party.

Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.