Tuesday, July 20, 2004

We've been up all night. Moving the goalposts.

I've been thinking for a while about my blogging plans once I am in Hanoi.

While I intend to keep writing, I have started to think that perhaps it's not the best of ideas to carry on Space Hardware in isolation. You see the problem is that firstly VSO is apolotical, secondly I must remember that I'm in an essentially (albeit slightly removed) communist country where you can still be locked up for speaking out of turn.

Finally, I want to be able to use the blog as a means of keeping people back home in touch with what I'm up to. As it stands, there are some clients, friends and familiy who I wouldn't want to go back through my archive.

So starting a new blog would seem to be the most sensible idea. I might even post pictures of me on it. There goes the anonymity of BykerSink.

On the downside, this blog has been linked over 70 times and has been mentioned in the press on three occasions. To borrow a phrase from my days working with brand consultants: There is a great deal of equity in it.

So, the more I think about it, the plan is to write two blogs. The 'nam blog will record my observations on my new job, home and way of living. Space Hardware, can remain as its usual hotpotch of the personal, the political and a little bit of footie thrown in. I will link to the new blog from the old, but not back again.

I've been knocking around some names for the blog as well as a new strapline. In order to keep the Billy Bragg theme I quite like the strapline of "I don't want to change the world, I'm not looking for a new England". Namewise, nothing Braggesque springs to mind, but ideas so far range from the (does what it says on the tin) "The Nam Blog" to the more gimmicky "Hanoi Rocks" or "The Hanoi-ing Blog".

Any thoughts are welcome. But watch out for details of the new blog which I will post soon.

Love, light and peace,

BykerSink

I saw two shooting stars last night I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.